Effective Ways to Land Your First Social Media Management Client

Published 7 years ago in Blogging - 15 Comments

One of the most important things that you can do to land that first client is to always be on the lookout for the next opportunity. There are countless opportunities around you. Everything from a short conversation with the diner owner that you visit for coffee each morning, to a few of your online friends can lead to a new client and a new opportunity

While it is important not to always talk like you’re trying to make the sale, keep in mind that a simple conversation can sometimes lead to great results. Keep your possibilities and your mind open.

Of course, landing a new client is not only about being in the right place at the right time, or making the opportunity happen for you. It is also about how the potential client sees you.

• Do you present yourself as someone who is capable?
  • Do you demonstrate expertise and knowledge in your area of specialization?

By demonstrating that you are plugged into what’s happening, people are more likely to start seeing you as the go-to person for their social media needs.

With your newly acquired skills, and of course the ability to learn new ones too, all that is left is to be your natural friendly self. Be positive, be friendly, and present yourself with the confidence and professionalism that you would come to expect from those around you.

While how you present yourself and looking for opportunities is important, it is also vital to know how to accomplish those tasks. Always remember to do the necessary research. Make use of online tools such as Google Alerts or the search function on Twitter to seek out new possibilities.

One way is to start getting notifications or alerts for search words in areas that you have a special interest in. For example, let鈥檚 say that you have a special interest or knowledge in Sicilian cooking. Why not set up a Google Alert for those ideas as well as social media management? That way, when you find people searching for those terms, you鈥檒l be able to quickly tailor what you do to fit their needs.

Also be sure to set up general searches for social media assistants or social media management as well. You never know what you鈥檒l find on the end of the line – maybe a partner, a subcontractor, or even a client just waiting to find you!

15 comments

iDeborah - 7 years ago Reply

Landed the first client is always the hardest. But once you’ve done it, you get a boost in confidence. After all, you managed to land one. Just rinse and repeat (and over deliver) and others will be sure to follow!

Doelis - 7 years ago Reply

I just purchased the Social Media Management package!!

Wish me luck 馃槈

Doelis

Daniel Gonzalez - 7 years ago Reply

I also just purchased the SMM Package through Lets Get Social! Its taken
me a little more time to set everything up than I thought, but still
going through all the trainings over again. I am stoked about getting
this puppy up and running! Awesome info btw KBJ! :)

Amy - 6 years ago Reply

Hi Kate, I purchased the social media manager training about a week ago, but have had some issues with getting the time to do the training.聽 Got through the first two modules, though.聽 Question:聽 Do you think I should start a new facebook profile since my old one is pretty personal and is connected to an email address i don’t really want to have associated with my business?聽 Is it worth it to start afresh?聽 Also, having a hell of a time finding an untaken domain name….

Scott - 6 years ago Reply

I was under the impression that being a social media manager/assistant was more or less the person that oversees websites, facebook, twitter etc. If you do Google social media manger and see the requirements for jobs, and this is what I’m seeing. Bachelors degree in marketing, 5 years in advertising with proven track record etc etc etc. Are employers confusing this new position with something else or is this the real job requirements? Heres a listing

BA/BS degree in Communications
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 10+ years of overall corporate experience in large, public companies
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 7+ Years Internal and External Communications Management Roles in large global organizations
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Experience with Employment/HR/Talent Acquisition Branding and Messaging desired
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Ability to create, innovate, 聽consult, market and sell
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Presentation and client facing skills
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Employment Communications and branding thought leadership
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Building global employment communication strategy with traditional and new media
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Creation and execution of targeted advertising and media plans
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Measurement of Talent Attraction media return on investment
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Identifying, assessing and implementing new communication platforms 聽channels and technologies
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Change and transition management for adoption of new communications venues and platforms
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Experience building external following and communities, development of community management ecosystems
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Experience building governance models and programs for corporate Social Media programs
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Ability to work in an ambiguous environment with entrepreneurial flair
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Working with, managing and influencing geographically dispersed teams聽

Helen Austin - 6 years ago Reply

Scott, I believe the requirements listed are for when you work for a company. 聽When you actually work in their offices, not when you have your own social media manager business.

Austin900 - 6 years ago Reply

Hi Kate, You are an absolute Gem, this stuff is fantastic. I love everything I’ve read thus far. i will succeed as a Social Media Manager, I know I will with your asistance.

Social Media Jobs - 6 years ago Reply

Thanks Kate!聽 Love your teaching.聽 I actively promote ‘Let’s Get Social’ to those who want to be a social media manager, as well as those in the home based business market who aren’t even thinking about social media for business.聽 Keep up the great work!

ThinkM - 6 years ago Reply

Thanks Kate! This has been helpful. I now get an abundance of social media manager job alerts delivered directly to my inbox.聽 This makes finding clients much easier…聽

Michelle - 6 years ago Reply

Kate, I am trying to find your post ” how a social media manager can help your business”

Kate Buck - 6 years ago Reply

Here you go:聽https://kbjonline.com/social-media-services/how-a-social-media-assistant-can-help-you-build-lasting-customer-relationships/